ArtWorks will be hiring 30 youth for Summer 2017. Applications are due May 5th.
ArtWorks is a paid youth apprenticeship program in the arts for high school students ages 14-18 who reside in the City of Buffalo. This summer, Young Audiences will hire student apprentices to work in teams to flex their creative muscles and learn essential career skills while producing works of art.
Youth Apprentice teams are divided by artistic discipline and will have the opportunity to work under the guidance of an ArtWorks Master Teaching Artist. Youth Apprentices engage in programs such as visual art, creative writing, dance, or theatre. Summer apprentices will meet Monday-Thursday, for 6 weeks. Once hired, youth apprentices will attend a formal orientation located at the Buffalo & Erie County Library, 1 Lafayette Square, Buffalo, NY.
ArtWorks Summer 2017 program runs from July 10th – August 17th, 10 am – 3 pm, Monday-Thursday.
ArtWorks Youth Apprentices:
- Create art
- Work independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines
- Discover hidden strengths
- Learn job readiness skills
- Encourage each other’s talents
- Participate in career exploration workshops
- Participate in team building activities
- Perform and/or exhibit works of art
- Learn decision making skills
- Practice public speaking
- Learn about money management
- Build friendships with students from different schools
- Participate in performance reviews and feedback sessions
- Learn why the arts are important to a community’s identity and success
- Gain earned income
ArtWorks gives students the opportunity to learn and practice essential 21st century career skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and problem solving skills, as well as the ability to think and work creatively with others. ArtWorks not only inspires students to succeed, but also ensures they have the skills to do so.
No prior experience in the arts is necessary.
High schools students must be at least 14 years old to apply.
Students must also be accepted into the Mayor’s Summer Youth Program in order to work with ArtWorks during the summer. Applications are due Friday, April 28th. download the pdf version here.
Apprentice Applications are due Friday, May 5th, 2017 by 4 pm. download the word version here.. download the pdf version here
Master Teaching Artist RFPs are due Monday, April 3rd 2017 by 4 pm. download the word version here.
In order to secure your position as an ArtWorks Apprentice the items below must be signed and returned along with all of the attached paperwork before interviewing.
- Original working papers for all youth under age 18
- Ages 14-15 (Blue Card) or Ages 16-17 (Green Card)
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Proof of Buffalo Residency (Utility Bills, Lease Agreement)
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Attending School (Most recent School Report Card or Transcript)
ArtWorks is made possible by private and public support including support from Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, City of Buffalo and Buffalo City Council members, Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo, Erie County, John R. Oishei Foundation, and United Way of Buffalo & Erie County.
The John R. Oishei Foundation strives to be a catalyst for change to enhance economic vitality and quality of life for the Buffalo Niagara region through grantmaking, leadership and network building. The Foundation was established in 1940 by John R. Oishei, founder of Trico Products Corporation.