Young Audiences Arts for Learning and Young Audiences of Western New York are launching the first ever Buffalo Emerging Leaders Institute.
- When: July 13-16, 2014
- Where: Cultural institutions in Buffalo, NY
- Eligibility: 25 emerging leaders in the arts from across New York State
- Fees: $100 (Buffalo Institute Presenting Partners & Young Audiences partners, Arts Partners for Learning Initiative participants & partners), $200 (All other participants)
- Housing: Participation fees include three nights stay at the Lafayette Hotel to those living more than 25 miles from Downtown Buffalo.
- Meals: All meals included.
Building on the success of YA’s national Emerging Leaders Institute model, the Buffalo Institute will serve approximately 25 emerging leaders in the arts from organizations and schools across New York State.This will include artists, non-profit administrators, service providers, community organizers, artists, and teachers. Individuals from across New York State are invited to participate and attend.
The Institute will take advantage of the revitalized riches Downtown Buffalo has to offer, with out-of-town participants staying at the historic, recently renovated Lafayette Hotel, and seminars held at the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, Just Buffalo Literary Center, and Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center.
- Deadline for applications is June 6, 2014
- Click here to download your application
Seasoned Executive Coach Judi Spear, who will help participants achieve practiced leadership throughout the three days, will be facilitating the Institute. Presentations will address functional needs as well as topics relevant to successful leadership and management, with content guided by institutional and community needs specific to Upstate New York.
The intensive experience will also provide training and best practices in inclusion, personal renewal, grantsmanship, team leadership, human resources, governance, community collaboration and organizing, and volunteerism.
Break-out sessions and small-group workshops will allow for networking, the sharing of perspectives and best practices, and peer-to-peer discourse and reflection.
Additional Presenters Include
- David A. Dik, National Executive Director, Young Audiences, Inc.
- Cynnie Gaasch, Executive Director, Young Audiences of Western New York
- Amy Rasmussen, Executive Director, Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education (CAPE)
- Laurie Dean Torrell, Executive Director, Just Buffalo Literary Center
- Starlight Studios Staff and Artists
In addition to the three-day Institute in Buffalo, participants will remain in contact throughout the year to discuss personal successes and challenges and share their progress in taking on leadership roles in their communities. Participants will also have the opportunity to attend the YA National Conference in New York City in November 2014, a valuable opportunity for emerging leaders and artists.
The Buffalo Emerging Leaders Institute is made possible by the New York State Council for the Arts, with additional support provided by Emerging Leaders in the Arts Buffalo (ELAB).
Presenting partners for the Buffalo Emerging Leaders Institute include Arts Services Initiative of WNY, Inc., Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, Hotel @ The Lafayette, Just Buffalo Literary Center, Starlight Studios, RV Rhodes, LLC., and WNED|WBFO.
Emerging Leaders in the Arts Buffalo is a group of multidisciplinary artists, arts administrators and patrons who work to support professional and artistic growth while serving as creative placemakers for the region through innovative events, educational activities, critiques, workshops and community art projects.
Funding provided by New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.